A great front door can easily be the difference between selling your home or staying where you are, so you definitely want to get this right. Most potential buyers will drive right past a home that has an unattractive front door, or put them in a negative mindset before they even step into your Louisville home.
1. The right color door can make your home look welcoming, add curb appeal and set the tone for what’s inside.
Not sure what color to choose? Here are a few tips:
- Traditional homes often feature a front door in a rich, deep color, such as green, navy blue, black or dark red. Contemporary homes often have more bold-colored doors, and cottage- or farmhouse-style home may feature a front door in bright colors from nature. Deep colored natural wood front doors are normally well received also.
- You don’t have to conform to tradition when choosing a door color. A beautiful look can be achieved with colors that are not considered mainstream. Basically, the style of the home and the color of exterior features (brick, siding, stone, gutters and trim, landscaping, etc.) should influence your color choice. If your home color is dark, choose a light color; if your home color is lighter, choose a deep color. Avoicd medium shades than are less eye-catching. You can add a little drama, but be sure to steer clear of going overboard. You don’t want it blinding or gaudy!
- A quart of quality paint will be a quick and inexpensive way to greatly improve the home’s curb appeal.
- According to Benjamin-Moore, popular colors for your front door that can help you sell your Louisville home include a deep (not bright) red, blue grays, and green grays.
2. If your current hardware is less than spectacular looking, consider getting new hardware (or a good clean and polish of the existing knocker, lockset, porch light, house numbers, and mailbox). This is another inexpensive (but skip cheap!) way to really draw the eye of the potential buyer.
3. Include an attractive, fresh ‘Welcome’ type mat and, depending on the size of your front porch or stoop, several seasonal potted plants. Ceramic pots (rather than cheaper looking plastic pots) will dramatically improve your home’s entry and make your visitors feel welcome.
4. Look around your neighborhood. Whatever you choose, you don’t want to make your house look strange or out of place with other homes in your community.
5. Potential buyers will be left staring at the front door as the showing real estate agent is fumbling with the keys and lockbox. Make sure everything is clean and neat, spider webs are cleared away, and free of leaves and other debris. Having a great looking front door puts them in a positive state of mind before they even walk in the door.
Last, but certainly not least, keep your entire door and porch area clean and neat. Cleaning off fingerprints and smudges regularly can really help keep your entire home looking bright and attractive!
According to the National Association of Realtors, curb appeal sells more than half of all houses that go on the market. And a beautiful front door color can make would-be buyers take notice. A little bit of your time and dollars can make a huge difference!
Please contact me if you would like to schedule a time to meet so we can take a look at how the perfect style and color of your front door can help you sell your Louisville home.